Wednesday 30 December 2009

Installation

Whilst manufacturing the object I had time to think about how to display it. I thought very critically about what the object actual does and the process that happens within it. Intentionally, I always viewed it from these two angles.

One, viewing the object from the outside and understanding its sculptural form
Two, viewing the object from the viewports like a facade and understanding its manipulation of space and thus the purpose for its sculptural form.





Photograph Youssef Daoud

I guess the argument can be simplified as Form vs Function or more specifically as Object vs Output and in this particular installation of the object I decided to make these two very separate entities. Another thought was to do with 'seeing the object', 'seeing through the object' and 'seeing through the object to see the object'. I guess the last thought I mentioned occurs anyway because of the nature of the object (it is essentially still one entity) but in the physical separation I felt there needed to be a hint to the sculptural form of the object when viewed from the viewports. This should explain the purpose of the canvas showing a silhouette of the form hanging in the room, in line with the central (0°) viewport.

No comments:

Post a Comment