Tuesday 16 February 2010

David Mach

'Being a sculptor leads everything I do. Every project I take on starts from that point. I believe that an artist must be an ideasmonger responding to all kinds of physical location, social and political environments, to materials, to processes, to timescales and budgets. I also believe that sculpture just about encompasses everything - a painting can be a sculpture, a TV ad can be a sculpture, a dance, a performance, a film, a video - all of these kinds of art and many more can be sculpture.

When I have ideas I want to make them, and not just some of them, but all of them. As a result of that my sculpture covers a multitude
of sins. I like to work in as many different materials as possible. It's no understatement to say I am a materials junkie - jumping from highly-painted realistic cast fibreglass pieces to sculpture with coathangers, to a thatched barn roof laced with fibre-optics to designs for camera obscures (or at least the buildings to house them) and layouts for parks.'

Text David Mach
Source www.davidmach.com



Installation Like a Virgin
Location Ujazdowski Castle Centre For Contemporary Art, Warsaw
Date
March 1993
Source www.sculpture.org.uk

The use of leaflets above only hints towards the creative imagination of David Mach. Other materials that have been transformed by Mach include coat hangers, matchsticks and car tyres. Mach is able to manipulate the thoughts we have about conventional everyday materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment